2 Oct 2012

Getting Motivated To Go To The Gym

I'm so hit and miss when it comes to living well. 

One minute it's all defrosting chicken breasts to eat with salads at work, the next week I'm like a junkie asking my work mates for an extra 5p to meet the 70p price for the work vending machine which I have a love/hate relationship with. 


So, Gym Motivation. How do you get it? 

1. Go With A Friend

- Simple really. I pick a friend who lives locally so I can turn up and badger her. 

2. Try Make New Friends at The Gym

-Smile, make small talk, ask questions. I like "Is it usually this busy?" or "I haven't done this before, have you?" and "does it hurt afterwards?" - Don't just pick the lonely person, just walk near to a group and get talking. Afterwards follow up with a comment on how it went and ask if they are going next week. Then you can ask if they live locally etc etc. End with 'Oh I'm Elaine, by the way'. (If your name is Elaine. Obviously.)

3. Live Near The Gym

- May not be possible but it helps. If you live near a field, try walking or running. If you have a garage, get a cross trainer from Ebay and park it near a TV. If you live miles away get some workout DVD's. I like Jillian Micheal's ones but there are 1000000's on Ebay. Work with what you have got. 

4. Visualise yourself in your too tight clothing. 

Visualisation can be a good tool. . Exercise isn't the answer - diet is better - but you can always have a nice toned figure. You can use the carrot - or the stick. For example- I use the stick- My older clothes help me think 'it would be nice to get into that' - or perhaps I think of a bad photo. 
If it demotivates you, then think of the carrot - your tight jeans being all baggy ,your body in swimwear looking great, you rocking a wedding dress or a tux...

Try both ideas and see what works.

5. Get on the scale mid work out if you are slacking. 

Gets me back on the treadmill!

6. Feel your glowing face, your thumping heart and quick legs.

-Get happy that you are alive and extending being alive by keeping yourself healthy and fit. 

7. Daydream

-Pretend you've won the lottery. Pretend the gym is your own and you are renting it out. Pretend you are a spy and you are keeping an eye on a fellow gym goer who is your target. Pretend you are training for the World Cup/Oscars/Teen Awards. Pretend you are going to be stood next to Taylor Swift/Taylor Lautner next week.*

8. Skip a day. 

But use it wisely. Lounge about and eat things. Watch TV. Pick your day though. E.g - I wouldn't want to skip a Monday as British Bake Off is on Tuesday- I'd rather have that day off. Then again, I could go on a Tuesday, be back for 9pm and have Orange Wednesdays off. Or I could go on a Wednesday and have a 'Date Night' on Thursday or visit a friend. Try put your 'day off' to Thursday or Friday. Maybe by then you will want to go, or you will at least have 'earned' a good set of days. 

9. Don't beat yourself up! 

Your ability to fit into anything has no reflection on your worth as a person or your value to the world. There are more important things than what you are, how many grams of fat you have had, how many squats you can do or what you look like in photos. Unless you are a runway model or similar- your job isn't to look nice. It is to BE nice. 

Self confidence coming from the outside appearance of yourself is a valuable commodity and not to be sniffed at, but not the be all and end all. 

Your self confidence can be boosted by other things like:

- Being nice
-Thinking the best of people
-Complimenting other people
-Working hard at your job
-Making today the best day you can 
-Thinking of others
-Keeping organised
-Being reliable and a good friend

Don't let your motivation for self improvement ever get you down or take over your mind in a negative way, because you are more than the husk of your body. 

Stay healthy, but also stay sane!


If you don't have motivation for the gym, for work, for even getting out of bed, or whatever it is - then just take a moment to ride it out. It will pass. Life is full of ebbs and flows. I know that you will regain your motivation for whatever you want to achieve when the time is right!

Lots of love

morethanakeyword xxx

*I do this with housework - I pretend the Queen is coming! 

No comments: